Sunday, July 17, 2011

Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes with Ghirardelli Chocolate Butterm Frosting



When I was a little girl, I used to pronounce 'chocolate' as 'osh-quit'. I knew I loved it even before I knew how to say it!  I was wandering about Trader Joe's one day and came across Trader Joe's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder so I decided to give it a whirl.  THEN I look on the back and see a recipe titled, "The Greatest & Easiest Chocolate Cake" and I couldn't resist.  This recipe uses a great deal of buttermilk, more than I have ever used in a cupcake recipe, so I new this would turn out with a great texture.  I disregarded the directions and followed my own preferred steps and just used the ingredient list.  I topped these little cakes off Chocolate Buttercream made with Ghirardelli's 60% cacoa baking chips.  So delightful! You MUST try!

Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes
(Makes 48 cupcakes, or 24 cupcakes and one 9 inch round cake)

3 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 1/3 cup Trader Joe's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
3 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
12 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla (as always, I only use Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla from Nielsen-Massey)
5 eggs, room temperature

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin(s) with cupcake liners and grease 9 inch round cake pan (s).
2. Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
5. Alternating between the dry flour mixture and buttermilk, pour in each in thirds and wait until well blended before each addition. Be sure to start and end with adding the dry flour mixture.
6. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 18-20 minutes for cupcakes, or 50-55 minutes in cake pans.
7. Frost and DEVOUR!

Ghirardelli Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Find the recipe in a previous post HERE :)



All set with equipment and ingredients!







Have a wonderful week!




No comments:

Post a Comment